1. Using the content of the GSJ Website
1) Source citation
- a. The user must cite the source when using the Content. Sources should be cited in the following manner.
(Examples of source citation)
Source: Geological Survey of Japan web page (URL of the relevant page)
Source: HARAYAMA (1990) Geological Map of Japan 1:50,000, Kamikochi. Geological Survey of Japan, AIST website
- b. If you have edited the Content for use, you must include a statement expressing that the content has been edited, in addition to the abovementioned source citation. Making public or using edited information in a format that may be misconstrued as having been created by the Geological Survey of Japan (GSJ) is prohibited.
(Example of citation when using edited content)
Created by editing the Geology of the Kamikochi district (HARAYAMA, 1990, Geological Survey of Japan, AIST) (URL of the relevant page)
2) No infringement of third party rights
- a. In some cases, a third party (refers to a party other than the GSJ. Hereinafter referred to as “Third Party”) may hold copyrights or other rights to a part of the Content. For Content where a Third Party holds copyrights or other rights (e.g. portrait rights in a photograph, publicity rights etc.), it is the responsibility of the user to obtain consent for use from the Third Party unless there is explicit indication that the rights have already been cleared.
- b. If a Third Party holds rights to a part of the Content, said fact may be directly or indirectly stated or indicated through source citations, but in some cases the part of the Content to which the Third Party holds the rights may not be clear or may not be explicitly stated. It is the responsibility of the user to confirm the rights pertaining to use of the Content.
- c. The user must comply with the terms and conditions of the source supplier for Content obtained through API (Application Programming Interface) links to external databases etc.
- d. Even if a Third Party holds copyrights to the Content, some use of the Content, such as quoting, may be allowed without the consent of the copyright holder, under the Copyright Act of Japan.
3) Content where use is restricted by specific laws and ordinances
- a. Use of some Content may be restricted by specific laws and ordinances.
- a. Symbol mark, Logo, and Character Design which represent the organization or specific business.
- c. Content that cannot be downloaded
- d. CHISHITSU NEWS
5) Governing law and jurisdiction
- a. Geological Survey of Japan bears absolutely no responsibility for any action taken by the user involving the use of the Content (including use of information based on edited Content).
- b. The Content may be modified, moved or deleted without prior notice.
2. Inquiry about GSJ publications
For inquiries about GSJ publications,
please send E-mail to : publish(a)gsj.jp Please replace (a) with @